"…for similar levels of heart rate and oxygen consumption, the magnitude of the biomechanical stimuli is greater with jumping on a rebounder trampoline than with running, a finding that might help identify acceleration parameters needed for the design of remedial procedures to avert deconditioning in persons exposed to weightlessness." N.A.S.A., Journal of Applied Physiology 49 (5): 881-887
"The mini trampoline [rebounder] provides a convenient form of exercise with a major advantage being its apparent low level of trauma to the musculoskeletal system." Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, 1990: 10; 401-408
Previously I have written about the need for a synergy in achieving optimal health (including fat loss) by maintaining/or building those metabolism furnaces (muscle mass), performing cardio in moderation to effectively transfer nutrients throughout the body and having supportive nutrition and lifestyle habits.
Here's a novel way to perform cardio exercise especially for those living in a cold climate and stuck indoors at the moment - Rebounding.
Rebounding involves using a mini-trampoline to jog, twist or step walk on the spot. The benefits of rebounding have been well documented by many professionals in rehabilitation and conditioning.
Dr. James White, director of research and rehabilitation at the University of California, believes it is more effective for fitness and weight loss than jogging or cycling while producing fewer injuries. (3)
Here are 10 reasons to start Rebounding:
1. Stress reduction Increasing endorphin output has a stabilizing effect on the nervous system through. Increased oxygen flow increases our sense of well being without the toxic side effects of narcotics or anti-depressants.
2. Improved oxygen levels This leads to an increase in physical and mental efficiency.
3. Detoxification Today a good detox is an essential component to any wellbeing program. Rebounding helps clear the lymph glands and loosen the toxins within the subdermal portion of the skin in the body, and finally through perspiration the body can remove toxins including heavy metals and cellular waste.
4. Stimulates healing A superior exercise for those that are immune compromised including cancer and MS. Rebounding increases white blood cell count, providing a greater defense system to destroy cancer.
5. Economical A single Rebounder can provide years of daily exercise. It is convenient for those that are homebound, unable to jog or access a gym.
6. Efficient It is readily portable (folds and fits into its own travel case) and stores neatly out of the way. Great for apartment, home, trailer dwellers or travelers. One can rebound all year round - indoors or outdoors, rain or shine.
7. Effective Six minutes of rebounding equals one mile of jogging. One can run several miles in place while rehearsing a speech, singing, talking on the phone, watching TV, listening to music, or while jumping outdoors enjoying "helio" or sun therapy.
8. Stimulates neural activity Medical journalist Dr. Morton Walker notes, when you move and exercise, you engage every brain and body cell. Disabled Children exhibiting a poor sense of rhythm, coordination and balance have been shown to benefit through improving the mind/body connection.
9. Pain relief Increasing circulation and oxygen flow has a natural analgesic effect on the body.
10. Lowers blood pressure, triglycerides, and cholesterol naturally By increasing oxygenation and dilating the blood vessels for smoother and easier transport through the circulatory system. (1) (2)
Your 3d Coach
(1) Bouncing for Health, Scott E. Miners, Well Being Journal, Vol. 10, No. 4, Fall 2001, www.wellbeingjournal.com
(2) Jumping for Health, Dr. Morton Walker, VE Publishing, 2005
(3) The Makers Diet, Jordan S. Rubin, Penguin, 2004
Article by Craig Burton. Craig is a prominent European based holistic health and fitness coach and founder of 3D Personal Training Systems. Craig is a Sports Science graduate with postgraduate accreditations in nutrition, massage, athletic training, and corrective exercise therapy.
He is the author of "The 21 Day Roadmap to Health" available at http://www.21dayroadmap.com.
Receive your FREE 3d pts tools including the 7 Part Series: Success Strategies for transforming the body, mind and spirit, our FREE monthly Peak Performance Newsletter and our FREE questionnaire to find out more about your current health status at http://www.3dpts.com/freetools.
For more information and articles on health and fitness visit http://www.3dpts.com/articles.
Note: The opionins represented herein are those of the individual authors and not the owner and publisher of this website.